A double cheeseburger is a work of art and an assault on the senses. And guess what? You can enjoy it from the comfort of your own kitchen. Here’s how to make one. Or three.
Double Cheeseburger Ingredients
- 1 pound of ground beef chuck roll
- 1 clove of thinly sliced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of toasted black peppercorns
Note: You’ll need a meat grinder. Otherwise, you can use store-bought meat.
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 2.5 tablespoons of pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2.5 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Dill pickle chips
- Lightly toasted potato rolls
- Thinly sliced tomatoes
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Thinly sliced onions
Steps in Making a Double Cheeseburger
In a bowl, combine the beef chuck roll (make sure they’re cubed first), black pepper, salt, thinly sliced garlic, and thyme. Mix everything up, then cover and refrigerate to cure the beef overnight.
Prepare the sauce by doing the following:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayo, ketchup, pickle relish, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Mix everything together.
- Refrigerate to bring flavors together.
If you have a meat grinder, grind the beef. Just see to it that the meat and grinder are very cold before grinding. We recommend you place it in the freezer for a few minutes just before using.
Mix together the ground meat, and then form into six, 3 oz. balls.
Place oil in a skillet and put it on medium/high heat. Add the beef balls and cook slightly. Using a spatula, press down on the burger to compress the patties and make them thinner. Continue to cook until the underside has browned and caramelized.
Flip the burgers and continue to cook until the second side just begins to brown. Top each patty with cheese, then remove them from the skillet.
Here’s how you put your double cheeseburger together:
- Spread the sauce onto both halves of a toasted bun.
- On the bottom bun, place the following: lettuce, tomato, and a sprinkle of salt on top.
- Place a burger patty (with the melted cheese) on top of the tomato. Add some onions, and then the second burger patty.
- Place a few pickles onto the top bun, then place the bun on top of the burger. Your double cheeseburger is ready!