Huawei is back with the Honor 9, a mid-price smartphone with two cameras on the back. It’s a straightforward device with smooth lines, a gorgeous aluminum frame, and some pretty solid specs.
The Shenzen-based Huawei was one of the first companies to kick off the dual camera trend and the Honor 9 gets a 12-megapixel color lens and 120-megapixel (you read that right) monochrome lens. Together, these two lenses are meant to add a lot of depth and detail to shots.
If you like to fine-tune your photos and videos, you’ll find plenty of settings to tweak in Honor 9. Interestingly, this smartphone also takes photos in the RAW format.
On the front, you’ll snap your selfies with an 8-megapixel camera. It also gives you a slider to adjust how much airbrushing you want to apply to smooth yourself out. The Honor 9 also has a portrait effect that can blur your background when you take a selfie. In fact, you can tap to get the same portrait mode on the rear camera too.
The Honor 9 is a medium-sized smartphone with a 5.15-inch screen, but it’s by no means small. Here’s what it’s got:
- A home button that doubles as a fingerprint reader.
- A decent-sized battery.
- The option to add a second SIM card.Android 7.0 Nougat at the core with Huawei skin on top.
- It’s also running on Huawei’s fastest processor – the same one you’re going to see inside the pricier P10 phone.
Honor 9 specs
As for the specs, here’s a quick overview:
- Dimensions: 5.80 inches x 2.79 inches x 0.30 inches
- Display type: LTPS IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16 million colors
- Screen size: 5.15 inches
- Pixel density: 428 pixels per inch
- Weight: 155 grams
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Operating system: Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Chipset: HiSilicon Kirin 960
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.4 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU: Mali-G71 MP8
- Card slot: microSD, up to 256 GB (uses SIM 2 slot)
- Internal: 64/128 GB, 4/6 GB RAM
- Primary camera: Dual 20MP + 12 MP, f/2.2
- Secondary: 8 MP, f/2.0
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 3200 mAh battery
- Colors available: Glacier Grey, Sapphire Blue, Midnight Black, Gold
So far, the Honor 9 is shaping up to be a pretty competent mid-tier handset. However, it faces stiff competition against the OnePlus 5.
Huawei’s Honor 9 smartphone is currently available in China and has just been launched in Europe.