Earlier last month, smartphone maker OnePlus confirmed that its flagship device OnePlus 5 will arrive this summer. Now it looks like we’re getting a more precise date.
An event poster hints that OnePlus will hold an event on June 15. The poster displays a few recognizable words like:
- “HELLO 5″, which may refer to OnePlus 5.”
- “Invitation” implies it’s an event.
- “DXO” could refer to the partnership between OnePlus and the DXO photography brand.
While OnePlus has only been around since late 2013, the Shenzen-based smartphone manufacturer has certainly given established brands like Apple and Samsung a run for their money thanks to a line of affordable high-end smartphones that cost only half of its flagship rivals.
OnePlus 5 specs
- Size: 5.5 inches
- Resolution: 1440 x 2560 pixels (~534 ppi pixel density)
- Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.35 GHz Kryo & 4×1.9 GHz Kryo)
- GPU: Adreno 540
- Memory: 64/128/256 GB storage, 6/8 GB RAM
- Camera: Dual 12 MP, phase detection autofocus, LED flash
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 3300 mAh with fast charging (Dash Charge)
Here’s the kicker: you get all of this – plus the terrific design and build quality – for upwards of $439 (for the 64GB variant).
To give you some perspective, Apple’s cheapest iPhone 7 (32GB) costs $649, while an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 (which is cheaper than the larger S8+) is going for $719.
So, are we just overreacting to the rumor? Unlikely. This isn’t the first whiff of a June 15 release. Last May 31, another poster was sighted. Then there’s the supposed internal email “leak” that hints at a June 15 release.
Bottom line, be ready for the imminent release. If you’re on the lookout for the next great smartphone, the OnePlus 5 is certainly one of the top candidates to lust over.