- Make some simple syrup (i.e. sugar water). This is done by placing 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan, then heating it up on the stove.
- Once the sugar has dissolved in the water, take it off the heat and add about 15 mint leaves and let them steep. Note that the longer the syrup steeps, the more flavor your mojito will have.
- Place a few mint leaves in the glass and muddle it. If you don’t have a muddle, use a fork to press and break up the mint leaves into the bottom and sides of the glass.
- Place ice in the glass (up to about halfway).
- Add the rum, lime juice, and 1 and 1/2 oz. of simple syrup into the glass.
- Top the mojito with a splash of club soda/seltzer. Serve and enjoy!