Prime rib steak, as its name implies, is a cut of beef from the primal rib. It’s normally cooked “standing”, which means the meat doesn’t come in contact with the pan. This is exactly what we’ll do today.
The special twist in our prime rib steak is garlic herb butter. Here’s how to cook it:
Prime rib steak ingredients
- 7 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary
- 5-7 pounds of boneless, trimmed rib eye
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Green beans
- Mashed potatoes
Steps to prepare
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit or 260 degrees Celsius.
- To make the garlic herb butter, mix together the garlic, herbs, salt, pepper, and softened butter in a bowl until it’s evenly combined.
- Rub the garlic herb butter on all sides of the prime rib, then place it on a roasting tray with a rack.
- To determine cooking time, it would take 5 minutes of baking per pound of meat. Thus, a 5-pound prime rib should be cooked for 25 minutes, while a 7-pound slab would bake for 35 minutes.
- After baking, switch off the oven and let the prime rib sit in the oven for 2 hours. During this time, do not open the oven to prevent residual heat from escaping.
- After the 2 hours, take out the meat and pour its drippings into a pan over medium heat.
- Add the flour into the drippings and whisk them together until the mixture is free of lumps. Pour in the beef stock, then stir the mixture while bringing the sauce to a boil.
- Take out the sauce from the heat and strain it into a gravy dish.
- Cut up the prime rib into 3/4-inch slices.
- Serve your prime rib steak with the garlic herb sauce, mashed potatoes, and green beans.