If you’re done with last week’s release, then brace yourself for today: we’ve got two highly anticipated games coming out right now. Here’s why you should pay attention to them.
Disclosure: we may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in this post.
Gran Turismo Sport
Series developer Polyphony Digital has traditionally made a sampler for their main numbered Gran Turismo installments, especially when they release their first entry for the current-generation PlayStation.
- Gran Turismo 3 was preceded by Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec on the PS2.
- Gran Turismo 5 was preceded by Gran Turismo 5 Prologue on the PS3.
And now, despite what some outlets say, Gran Turismo Sport is for what’s presumably Gran Turismo 7 on the PS4.
Gran Turismo Sport features the following:
- Support for 4K resolutions, 60 frames per second, and HDR. It’s not clear though if these are available for the regular PS4.
- It’s the only e-racing championship approved by the FIA. It even has an official license you can earn.
- More than 130 cars and 19 tracks (including offroad options). More than 20 of these cars are concept vehicles.
- A photo mode (named Scapes) lets you take pictures of your cars in over 1,000 locations.
- A livery editor.
Gran Turismo Sport is exclusive to the PS4.
South Park: The Fractured But Whole
There’s finally a sequel to 2014’s highly successful South Park: The Stick of Truth. Unlike its predecessor, which featured fantasy tropes (plus the Jew class), The Fractured But Whole puts its signature South Park spin on superheroes.
Here are a few good reasons why you should own a copy of the game:
- It’s written by South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker.
- Again, the game is set in the fictional town of South Park, Colorado, and it’s chock-full of easter eggs and fan service.
- More customization depth. There are 12 superhero classes in all. You can choose from dozens of outfits, and can even pick your skin tone, which affects dialog and the amount of money you get in the game.
- It uses a position-based combat system (like a chessboard) that gives an additional tactical aspect to fights. Combat also lets you use the environment to your advantage.
- There’s a crafting system that lets you create healing items, food, character buffs, and more.