The cosmopolitan is a sour – a family of tart cocktails that contain a base liquor, some citrus juice, and a sweetener (e.g. triple sec, grenadine, simple syrup). It’s essentially the Golden Ratio of cocktails.
While the cosmopolitan was said to be created in the 1970s, it resembles one of the cocktails in the 1934 book Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933, which also vodka, lemon juice, and raspberry syrup.
But regardless of its origin, we think the cosmopolitan is the best vodka sour out there. Here’s how to make your own.
- 1 1/3 oz. citrus-flavored vodka
- 1/2 oz. triple sec
- 1 oz. cranberry juice
- 1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
- Cocktail shaker
- Martini glass
- Cocktail strainer
- Lime or orange peel for garnish
- Fill the cocktail shaker with ice.
- Combine the citrus vodka, lime juice, triple sec, and cranberry juice in the cocktail shaker. Shake well.
- Strain the contents of the shaker into the martini glass, then garnish it with lime or orange peel.
- Serve and enjoy.