The Jack Rose is an American cocktail through and through. The drink consists of applejack (ideally Laird’s – it’s the most popular producer), grenadine, and lemon juice.
The drink is distinctly American because of applejack. The country’s first distillery license went to Laird’s in 1780. Fun fact: applejack is so American that George Washington, one of the U.S. Founding Fathers, used to distill the stuff in Mt. Vernon.
The Jack Rose is like a whiskey sour, except it isn’t as boozy. It tastes like someone splashed lemonade in your apple juice. This means it’s an easy drink for any palate, and just as easy to have more than one.
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own.
Jack Rose ingredients
- 2 oz. of Laird’s Applejack
- 1 oz. of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 oz. of grenadine (preferably homemade)
- Ice cubes
- Cocktail shaker
- Lemon twist
- Cocktail glass
- Cocktail strainer
- Chill the cocktail glass.
- Combine the applejack, grenadine, and lemon juice in the cocktail shaker.
- Fill shaker with ice and shake it vigorously for about 15 seconds until its contents are well chilled.
- Strain the contents of the shaker into the cocktail glass. Tip: strain the drink twice to keep it sharp.
- Squeeze the lemon twist over the surface of the cocktail, with the skin side facing outward to release the fruit’s fragrant oils.
- Rub the rim of the cocktail glass with the skin side of the lemon twist, but make sure you discard the twist afterwards.
- Serve the Jack Rose right away and enjoy.